Recently, my husband joined me on this keto journey. I have to admit that I was beyond excited that he was taking a proactive approach when it came to his health. In the beginning, he was reluctant, because he thought it meant that he would have to give up all of the delicious (and very sugary) foods that he loved. Boy, was he wrong! As with anything in life, it’s simply a matter of adjusting.
When we met, over 20 years ago, he told me that one of his favorite desserts was brownies. Now, I’m not bragging here, but I can throw down when it comes to baking. It is definitely something that I have a passion for. I enjoy serving my sweet treats to those whom I love, and they always know that there is a secret ingredient in my bake goodies. It’s always, always…LOVE!
We have enjoyed so many delicious foods recently, but we were really wanting a brownie similar to the ones I used to make. I have attempted to make several keto brownie recipes, but they ended up either too dense, or too crumbly. I needed a solution, and I needed it quick! So, I pulled out my “old” brownie recipe. You know, the one with oil stains saturated through the paper, and decided to ketofy it. With a little imagination, and a bit of experimentation, I brought this decadent dessert to KETO LIFE!
Let’s get started!
***PRO-TIP for baking brownies*** DO NOT OVER BAKE IT!!! You’ll be better off with a slightly under-cooked brownie, versus an over-cooked, dried out brownie any day!
Also, I prefer Pyure sweetener, but feel free to use the one that you love the most.
1 (8oz) cream cheese (room temp)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
2 tbs. Pyure sweetener
3/4 cup almond flour
8 tbsp. cocoa powder
1/2 cup Pyure
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar free chocolate chips (I use Lilly’s)
9 tbsp. salted butter melted (I use salted)
2 tbsp. water
You will need two separate bowls for this recipe – one for mixing the cheesecake mixture, and one for the brownie batter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the cheesecake mixture bowl, combine cream cheese, egg, vanilla, sweetener, lemon juice and beat well with hand mixer. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe dish, or mug, melt butter and sugar-free chocolate chips (Lilly’s). Do this in 30 second increments, you do not want to burn the chocolate. It only took a total of 1 minute in my microwave.
- In the brownie batter bowl, combine almond flour, cocoa powder, Pyure, vanilla extract, eggs, melted butter & chocolate mixture, and water. Using a whisk, stir until well combined.
- You can use either and 8 or 9 inch baking dish for this recipe. I used an 8 inch pan. Spray the pan with a nonstick cooking spray. I skip this, and just use parchment paper in the pan.
- Spoon approximately 2/3 of the brownie batter into the pan and spread it evenly in the bottom.
- Pour the entire batch of cheesecake mixture on top.
- With the remaining brownie batter, use a spoon, and drop spoonfuls on the top of the cheesecake mixture.
- With a butter knife, gently swirl the brownie and cheesecake around to give it a marbled look.
- Place in the center rack of preheated oven, and bake for 18-24 minutes.
- Remove when center is still slightly jiggly. ***See PRO-TIP above***
- Let it rest for a bit, then serve.
I served our Cheesecake Brownies with a scoop of my homemade vanilla ice cream, and a few sliced almonds. The vanilla ice cream recipe is coming soon!